Democrats Call for School Funding Reforms | Education
Harrisburg, PA-At a press conference in the House of Parliament on June 8, Governor Tom Wolf joined Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives and the Senate, calling for reforms and updates to the system funding for state schools.
The current system is based on student enrollment from 1992, rather than current enrollment numbers that lawmakers have called unfair to growing school districts.
“Funding for Pennsylvania schools is still based on enrollment 30 years ago and has not been renewed for generations,” Governor Wolf said.
“This unfair system of funding schools is failing students, teachers and communities. This is unacceptable. You need to correct the mistakes of the past and invest comprehensively in funding for workplace education. There is. “
If the state does not fund the school district, property taxes will be increased to make up for the lack of funding.
The “equitable funding method” was enacted in 2016, but it only applies to new funding. Last year, only 11 percent ($ 700 million) of state funding used this formula. The remaining 89% continued to use the old formula.
“This is where we have the opportunity to bring funding for education into the 21st century, where it belongs,” Wolff said.
“To do this, we need to manage all basic education funding in our current state fairly, and we need to ensure that this adjustment does not result in the loss of $ 1 in state funding. “
Democratic House Leader Joanna McClinton, Democratic Senate Leader Jay Costa, Democratic Senate Budget Chairman Matthew Bradford, Democratic Senate Budget Chairman Vincent Hughes, and other Democratic lawmakers, education professionals and interested parties gathered at the Senate stage to support reform.
“I am honored to stand alongside a dedicated legislative leader who wants our federation to invest in our students,” continued Wolff.
“All of our federal students deserve a chance to succeed. It’s what parents want their kids to do and what Pennsylvania needs for our future.
In addition to promoting funding reforms, the Legislature encourages accountability reforms for bipartite charter schools that set performance standards for charter schools and change the way they raise funds, estimated annually 3 We let’s save $ 995 million.